& the slipper still fits

Author(s) of the month

As Austen is my Spring author, the Bronte's define my fall. There's just something about cuddling up with Jane Eyre or The Tenant of Wildfell Hall when the leaves are tumbling down from the trees that enchantes me. Of course, Gothic themes during my 3 favorite months were gothic themes are in vogue certainly helps.

And since we've focused a great deal on Jane Eyre (and it will be the primary focus of our adapation run down at the end of the month), and no matter how hard I try, I can't get through Wuthering Heights, I'm focusing all my energy on reading Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey.

Like Jane Eyre, Agnes Grey is about a Governess, struggling to find her way in the world. This, is where much of the similarities ends, where Jane blossoms with her close connection with Rochester, Agnes suffers isolation, indignation, and incolense. Anne is considered the "realistic sister" of the three, and roots her imagry and plot within the mindless structure of true society. After reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, a novel and really adored for its main characters, I can't wait to throw myself into Agnes Grey. I know it will be nothing like the rest I've read.

Books by Charlotte: Jane Eyre, Shirley, Villette, The Professor
Books by Emily: Wuthering Heights, Poems
Books by Anne: Agnes Grey, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Bronte resources:
The Bronte Parsonage Blog
BronteBlog
Bronteana